On 3 Apr 2009, at 19:44, Lawrence, Ramon wrote:

I would be especially interested in using a shared memory hash table
that *all* backends can use - if the table is mostly read-only, as
dimension tables often are in data warehouse applications. That
would
give zero startup cost and significantly reduced memory.

I think that's a non-starter due to visibility issues and handling
inserts and updates. Even just reusing a hash from one execution in a
later execution of the same plan would be tricky since we would have
to expire it if the snapshot changes.

If your data set is nearly read-only, materialized views would be a
better way to go and would require no hash join changes.

I think what he means is that some of the tables in join are effectively read-only. So materialized views are nono here. Unless you mean just a partial ones. I have to say, that frankly I got same problem, and plausibly my schemas could benefit from changes discussed here.