Hi.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <in...@tpf.co.jp>

Tom Lane wrote:
"Hiroshi Saito" <z-sa...@guitar.ocn.ne.jp> writes:
I want to solve one problem before the release of 8.4.
However, since it also seems to be the new feature,
if not enough for 8.4, you may suggest that it is 8.5.

I'm not too clear on what this is really supposed to accomplish, but
we are hardly going to put code like that into every single file access
in Postgres, which is what seems to be the logical implication.
Shouldn't we just tell people to use a database encoding that matches
their system environment?

Unfortunately (as usual) under Japanese Windows there's no database
encoding that matches the system environment.
As for the file name in COPY command, there's little meaning to
convert it to the server encoding because the file name is irrelevant
to the database. Because Windows is Unicode(UTF-16) based, it seems
natural to convert the file name to wide characters once.

Yes, If server encoding can be chosen by windows, the facilities in good working order. It was not possible though it was regrettable.
Regards,
Hiroshi Saito