Heikki,

It's important to distinguish what kind of fadvise we're talking about.
The bitmap scan code issues hints about individual pages, using
posix_fadvise(... POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED). For increasing the readahead of
a sequential scan, you'd want to use POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL. I believe
the support for the latter is much more widespread than for the former.

OK, so this is potentially useful (pending testing) but it's a different feature. We'll discuss it for 8.5.

The other thing I was going to ask you about is using posix_fadvise as an alternative to O_DIRECT for the xlog. O_DIRECT is, AFAIK, linux-only, whereas there are "direct write" fadvise flags which work on multiple OSes.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.