Bernd Helmle wrote:
--On Dienstag, Mai 05, 2009 16:57:50 -0400 Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:

Hex will already provide some space savings over our current encoding
method for most byteas anyway. It's not like we'd be making things less
efficient space-wise. And in compressed archives the space difference is
likely to dissolve to not very much, I suspect.

I'm dumb: I don't understand why a hex conversion would be significantly faster than what we have now?

Quite apart from anything else you would not need the current loop over the bytea input to calculate the result length - in hex it would just be the input length * 2.

cheers

andrew