Tom Lane wrote:
Mark Mielke <m...@mark.mielke.cc> writes:
I'm not following. CVS and SVN both kept such directories "in the checked out copy." Recall the CSV/*,v files?

I can't speak to SVN, but that is *not* how CVS does it.  There's a
small CVS/ directory, but the repository (with all the ,v files)
is somewhere else.  In particular I can have N different checked-out
working copies without duplicating the repository.

Ah - my mistake. It's been too long since I used CVS. CVS keeps the metadata describing what you have, but not the 'pristine copy' that SVN keeps.

I just don't understand why you care. If the CVS directories didn't bug you before, why does the single .git directory bug you now?

(1) size (ok, not a showstopper)
(2) potential for error

Blowing away your working directory shouldn't result in loss of your
entire project history

Perhaps you could describe the 'blowing away your working directory shouldn't result in loss of your entire project history'?

Yes, if that's the only copy you have - this is true. But, you would normally have at least one copy, and everybody else will also have a copy. Linus has joked about not needing backups, since he can recover his entire project history from places all over the Internet.

As a "for example", you could have a local repo that you publish from. Your work spaces could be from that local repo. Others pull from your local repo.

For a small project I have, I keep the SVN / centralized model. People upload their changes with 'git push', and pick up updates with 'git pull' ('cvs update'). Whatever works best for you - but it's all available. Just because your workspace happens to have a copy of your entire project history doesn't necessarily mean that blowing away your working directory results in loss of your entire project history. Think multiple redundant copies. It's a feature - not a problem. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <m...@mielke.cc>