Ron Mayer wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Folks,...the first CF on July 15th.

Would it make the CommitFest easier if there were an additional
column which indicates what CVS-version of Postgres the patch
cleanly applies to?

Perhaps a patch submitter could indicate the CVS date/time
with which he developed the patch.  If a reviewer happens
to apply the patch on a later version he could update it as
cleanly applying at that later date.

Commiters could feel free to ignore patches that are
sufficiently far off of HEAD, so it might make work easier
for them too.

I think the patch should apply cleanly to HEAD at the time it is submitted. The actual CVS versions should be visible in the patch. Normally we will try to take care of any subsequent bitrot - I don't think developers should have to pay too high a price for our processes. Occasionally a developer will be asked to help in removing the bitrot, but that is usually the first thing I try to do in a review, after applying the simple eyeballs test.

In theory this is an area where a more sophisticated SCM system will help us some.

(Actually, you often learn a lot that way - it's a good exercise for all of us.)

cheers

andrew