Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Itagaki Takahiro wrote:

Is it acceptable to use pthread in contrib module?
We don't have a precedent it seems.  I think the requirement would be
that it should compile if pthread support is not present.

My thoughts as well. But I wonder, would it be harder or easier to use
fork() instead?

I have just been down this road to some extent with parallel pg_restore, which uses threads on Windows. That might be useful as a bit of a template. Extending it to use pthreads would probably be fairly trivial. The thread/fork specific stuff ended up being fairly isolated for pg_restore. see src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c:spawn_restore()

I think you should have it use pthreads if available, or Windows threads there, or fork() elsewhere.

cheers

andrew