On 16 Jul 2009, at 14:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

On Thursday 16 July 2009 16:23:31 Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
On 16 Jul 2009, at 14:20, Tom Lane wrote:
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <g...@pointblue.com.pl> writes:
oh, another thing.
stdbool is C99 standard feature.

We are still targeting C89, not C99.

Another reason not to depend on stdbool is that, so far as I can see,
the standard does not promise that type _Bool has size = 1 byte.
We have to have that because of on-disk compatibility requirements.

I think the latter is easily fixable, or forceable to be one byte.

How do you plan to do that?
by casting it to 1 byte type such as char ?
I don't think anyone will add 3rd state to boolean in stdbool, at least not any time soon :)

And it is pretty annoying, when your product also has its own BOOLean defined...

Why C89, and not C99 ? Virtually all compilers for last 4 years have/
had C99 support.

Well, I think we want to run on systems that are older than 4 years, too.

Sure, but that's probably less than 1% of all systems.
The 4 years was a guess, I think its much more than that.