pg...@mohawksoft.com wrote:

Well, the API is there, it is where, I guess, PostgreSQL is going, but I
think, philosophically, the API needs to see the XML contained within SQL
columns as being able to represent variable and optional columns in object
oriented environments easily. The harder it is to use a feature, the less
usable the feature is.

Do you disagree?

There is always a degree of tradeoff between power and ease of use. But whether or not you like the way the xpath() function now works hardly matters - we're not going to change the behaviour of an existing function except to fix a bug.

As I said upthread, I think we can easily provide some extra convenience functions which will do what you want. The only thing I was really arguing about was the function name for such a gadget.

cheers

andrew