Steve Prentice wrote:
Is there a reason we force plpgsql IN parameters to constant? The reason I ask is because having them mutable would go a long way in easing a port from Informix's SPL. For better or worse, we have a fair amount of code in SPL that does something like:

   -- pObjectId is an IN parameter
   IF pObjectId IS NULL THEN
       pObjectId := newid();
   END IF;

I understand it may be better to use a different technique here, but we have a substantial amount of SPL (40k lines) and if we could make the IN parameters mutable, it would make my day.

First reaction is that it would mean we could never pass them by reference. I know PLPerl uses in effect pass by copy, but what does PLPgsql do?

cheers

andrew