Hi,

Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I don't really believe that JSON is "only one use case".  XML and JSON
> are in a class of their own; there's nothing else out there that is
> really comparable.

You might want to hear about the UBF specs from Joe Armstrong, let me
quote its page about it:

  UBF is a language for transporting and describing complex data
  structures across a network. It has three components:

    * UBF(A) is a data transport format, roughly equivalent to
      well-formed XML.

    * UBF(B) is a programming langauge for describing types in UBF(A)
      and protocols between clients and servers. UBF(B) is roughly
      equivalent to to Verified XML, XML-schemas, SOAP and WDSL.

    * UBF(C) is a meta-level protocol between used between UBF servers.

  While the XML series of languages had the goal of having a human
  readable format the UBF languages take the opposite view and provide a
  "machine friendly" format.

  http://www.sics.se/~joe/ubf/site/home.html

It seems there's an ongoing revision to adapt this work to JSON
nowadays:

  http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2009/02/json-protocols-part-1.html

Oh and now I'm wondering about ASN.1...

Regards,