On Aug 8, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
On 8/8/09 10:50 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> writes:
Is there any reason we didn't move the pg_freespace function from
contrib to core?
Is there a reason we *should* move it? The current definition doesn't
leave me feeling that it's more than a low-level hacker's tool.

No specific reason. I was just wondering because I saw an old message
about it.  Maybe we just don't need it.

Given that the FSM is now auto-managing, is there any reason to have
this tool at all?

Seems like it should get killed off.

I believe it's useful when dealing with very bloated relations. If someone's looking for an itch to scratch, ways to more effectively shrink bloated relations would be good.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  deci...@decibel.org