On Aug 19, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

These considerations don't apply to ordinary hand launching of the
postmaster, for the primary reason that the chance of a false PID match
is several orders of magnitude smaller when you're talking about a
manual restart --- the likely postmaster PID now ranges over the whole
PID space instead of being within a few counts of the same thing. So we don't need to discourage people from using pg_ctl for ordinary restarts. The whole thing is really only a problem for initscript authors (who all
know about it by now ;-))

Nice summary, Tom. Do the distro packagers know this, though? Do we have notes for distro packagers somewhere?

Best,

David