Tom Lane napsal(a):
Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
Well, I don't know if we really need to call it "lambda", but I fully
expect to be able to use these "ad hoc functions" as part of other
expressions.

Why would you expect that?  To be used in an expression, you'd also need
decoration to tell the function argument types, result type, volatility
properties, etc etc (your proposed lambda notation is far too
simplistic).  I think you're moving the goalposts to a point where we'd
need ANOTHER, simpler, mechanism to accomplish the original intent.
And frankly, all of the user demand I've heard is for the latter not
the former.  By the time you get into specifying function properties
you might as well just create a function.

I agree with Tom here, doing it the way Andrew and Tom agreed on will be *way* easier and will give us most of the benefit (as Heikki said "90% of the usability with 10% of the trouble").

I volunteer to do this feature too.

The implementation as I see it would create function in pg_temp namespace, call it and then drop it. Any other implementation would imho mean rewriting procedure language api.

I am unsure if we should try to make the name of the function unique, since it should not collide with anything if we allow just one statement at a time (transactional DDL wins again), or am I mistaken here ?

Also do we want the LANGUAGE option to be at start or at the end or anywhere (like it's in CREATE FUNCTION). The reason I am asking this is that if we let user to put it on both sides then the LANGUAGE keyword can't be optional (what Dimitri Fontaine wanted).

And last thing I am wondering is if we want to allow DO to return rows (probably by creating the function with SETOF record as return type) ? I am guessing not here since if user wants to run something often then he should crate a function.

Otherwise this should be quite straightforward (I have working code already).

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)