> The maintenance costs and update contention for such a datastructure
> would render this completely impractical, even if consulting it were
> free.

Thanks for the reply.

a) Only one transaction would be updating its commit status. Its multiple
readers Vs Single Writer for the position of a particular transation( a
memory location ). So a reader-writer lock would reduce the contention.
Moreover it releases the need for the synchronization that happens with
global pg_procs now.  For example something like a select which would only
query the old data will never access this structure.

I am right now not able to think of anything on the maintenance cost
perspective.

Gokul.