If you hold one contended lock while waiting in a FIFO for another contended
lock, you just made the first lock that much more contended.  Jumping queue
on the WALInsertLock
probably does not reduce contention on WALInsertLock, but does prevent that
contention from introducing derivative contention on other locks which are
already held while waiting (ProcArrayLock and ClogControlLock)

We reorder shared lockers
> ahead of exclusive lockers because they can all hold the lock at

We don't explicitly reorder shared lockers ahead of exclusive lockers.  "The
reordering" works for either case.  A holder of a shared lock who drops the
lock but then grabs it again before the awakened exclusive waiter has to
chance to grab it is "reordered", but so is the exclusive holder who drops a
lock and then grabs it again before any of the awakened shared waiters have
had a chance to grab it.  The primary point is not to reorder the locks, but
to avoid excessive context switches.

> the
> same time so we can reduce the amount of time the lock is held.
>
> Reordering some exclusive lockers ahead of other exclusive lockers
> won't reduce the amount of time the lock is held at all. Are you
> saying the reason to do it is to reduce time spent waiting on this
> lock while holding other critical locks? Do we have tools to measure
> how long is being spent waiting on one lock while holding another lock
> so we can see if there's a problem and whether this helps?

I don't know of any formal tools for that.  I just add elog statements at
strategic places and then mine the logfile.  You have to be careful that the
time spent doing the logging doesn't distort the timings too much, but I
usually haven't found that to be a problem.  I've toyed with changes to
LWLOCK_STATS to help, but you have to focus on a few specific locks or else
the overhead is generally too high, and if you are interested in only a
handful of locks adding elog statements seems easier.  But I was looking in
other areas of the code, not this specific area under discussion.

Jeff