On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 18:16 -0400, Emmanuel Cecchet wrote:
> If the partitioning implementation does not make progress (and does not
> make it for 8.5), don't you think that this could be an interesting
> contribution to consider for this release?
> I have put on the wiki
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Join_optimization_for_inheritance_tables)
> the results obtained so far and the use case where it is most used.

I think you mean that the planning time is in milliseconds, not seconds.
Also, you use "data" in a few places you meant "date".

The results seem good, and trading planning time for execution time
seems like a reasonable idea in the case of partitioned tables. We
already work harder planning when constraint_exclusion='partition', so
there is some precedent (I don't know if that's a good precedent to
follow or not).

How does it compare to using merge-append?

I haven't looked at the actual patch yet.

Regards,
        Jeff Davis