--On 5. Oktober 2009 09:51:29 +0300 Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:

The way forward with updatable views is triggers on views.  I was going
to write something about that in the future.  I haven't worked out all
the details.

In the mentioned discussion there was already the notion of "substitution rules". The notion of this pretty much applies to something like "instead of statement triggers". AFAIR, the discussion came up with a proposal for some CURRENT OF-Syntax in rules, which creates some magic rule effectively avoiding the self join and substitute the original query with the WHERE-condition of the view appended.

--
Thanks

        Bernd