2009/10/6 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Applied with a fair amount of editorial polishing.  Notably I changed
> the permissions requirements a bit:

Thanks and congratulations!  I'm really looking forward to this feature.

I pulled the latest sources and gave it a whirl.  Things worked as
expected in psql, but I was a little surprised when I headed into the
documentation.  The first place I visited was Chapter 20 - Database
Roles and Privileges, but there was no mention of the default ACLs
feature in there.

If you head into the SQL Reference, it's all there under ALTER DEFAULT
PRIVILEGES, but that's only helpful if you already know that it's
there and what the command is called.  At the moment the only way
you'd find out about Default ACLs via the documentation is if you
noticed the link several paragraphs into the reference for GRANT.

Perhaps we should have something in Chapter 20 along the lines of
"Rather than tediously assigning privileges to objects every time you
create them, you can set default privileges on a schema" etc.

IMO we should be actively pointing people, especially Postgres/DBA
newbies, to this very useful functionality.

Cheers,
BJ