On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

I'd much rather live without Test::More and use DBD::Pg, then have
Test::More but need to open pipes to psql to talk to the database,
rather than using DBI to do it.  But I guess we would need to worry
about whether we can make DBD::Pg work with the installation being
tested, rather than finding some other install.

The test architecture depends on Perl, but not on the DBI. I don't think that Andrew wants to add any dependencies. Therefore we'd need to use file handles. That's not to say that we couldn't write a nice little interface for it such that the implementation could later change.

Do we need to restrict ourselves to core?  Developers already need
flex and bison, which aren't needed when installing from the tarball.
Couldn't we also have "make dev-check" that has higher requirements
than "make check" does, but does a more thorough job?

flex and bison are not Perl modules.

Best,

David