On Oct 19, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

1. Invent a GUC that has the settings backwards-compatible,
oracle-compatible, throw-error (exact spellings TBD). Factory default, at least for a few releases, will be throw-error. Make it SUSET so that
unprivileged users can't break things by twiddling it; but it's still
possible for the DBA to set it per-database or per-user.

2. Also invent a #option syntax that allows the GUC to be overridden
per-function.  (Since the main GUC is SUSET, we can't just use a
per-function SET to override it. There are other ways we could do this
but none seem less ugly than #option...)

What about adopting the modifier syntax you're adding to COPY?

David