On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:13 -0700, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >
> > Different issue, really, which is that some people (including me) would
> > like to break up PostgreSQL configuration into 7 or 8 files based on
> > functional area (e.g. memory.conf, logging.conf, custom_options.conf
> > ...).  I do this with my Apache configs, and find it vastly more
> > manageable than one big file, especially under SCM.    If I write a
> > config management tool, my tool will also do this.
>
> This actually seems like a bad idea to me. It's fine for something
> like apache virtual hosts where there's no ambiguity and in any case
> it's you organizing it and you reading it back out. But for a tool to
> do this is only going to lead to confusion when my thinking of where
> to find the variables differs from yours.

Right, but you'll notice that Josh already got his way into how the
current postgresql.conf is laid out and how the documentation is
structured.  I can't find anything in the documentation anymore.  Just
as a side note ... when we start giving people new ways to access the
configuration settings, they might also like a documentation layout that
matches their thinking.