On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Greg Stark wrote:

If they all had to edit the same file then they have to deal with
writing out values and also reading them back. Everyone would need a
config file parser and have to make deductions about what other tools
were trying to do and how to interact with them.

Exactly, that's the situation we're trying to escape from now in a nutshell.

To answer Tom's question about providing better guidelines for tool authors, I was hoping to provide the first such tool and submit a patch for refactoring initdb using the same approach before 8.5 is done. I'd rather see that nailed down with a concrete proof of concept attached that implements a candidate approach by example rather than to just talk about it in general. I don't think that needs to hold up work on this patch though, particularly given that I'm dependent on this one being committed for my plan to work.

--
* Greg Smith gsm...@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD