Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
The whole config file is a joke. We'd never do it the way we do if we were designing it from scratch,

Why not, pray tell?  We did design it from scratch, once upon a time,
and I don't see that the design is so obviously broken that we'd not
do the same thing if starting over.

but we seem to be incapable of biting the bullet and replacing it with something sane, which is why I have ignored most of the current debate.

I guess we'll just go without the benefit of your superior intelligence
then.

*sigh*

Time passes, and surely there are plenty of thing we wouldn't do the same today if we had a chance to do them again from scratch. That's not slamming anyone who was involved in the past. People made decisions based on knowledge and experience at the time. Despite your sarcasm, I don't claim any superior intelligence, but I also don't see the sorts of things people are talking about making any great improvement.

I play with config files for a LOT of different pieces of software, because a lot of what I do involves integrating disparate systems. Years ago flatish config files were pretty common, but that's much less true today. Even fairly old pieces of software like apache have some provision for structure. My personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that until we tackle that, the rest is just tinkering.

cheers

andrew