Robert Haas wrote:
I'm not averse to EOL'ing 7.4, but I don't think it's fair to claim that
we already stopped supporting it.

Well, that would be overstating my position.  We haven't stopped
supporting it, but there's less and less stuff that applies that far
back.  I think it's better to draw a line in the sand and say "we're
going to stop supporting this release on this date" rather than
letting it go on and on and then waking up and realizing "hmm, nothing
ever applies that far back any more, I guess we don't support it".

I think you are mis-diagnosing the reason not everything gets backpatched that far. It's not that we can't, it's that we don't always need to.

cheers

andrew