Now you might say that yeah, that's the point, we're trying to enable
using NOTIFY in a different style.  The problem is that if you are
trying to use NOTIFY as a queue, you will soon realize that it has
the wrong semantics for that --- in particular, losing notifies across
a system crash or client crash is OK for a condition notification,
not so OK for a message queue.  The difference is that the former style
assumes that the authoritative data is in a table somewhere, so you can
still find out what you need to know after reconnecting.  If you are
doing messaging you are likely to think that you don't need any backing
store for the system state.

I simply don't agree that the semantics have to change. You call it a queue, I call it sesison data. There is no reason why the documentation can't state that notifies may not be delivered due to crashes, so make sure to use persistent storage for any payload worth keeping post-session.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC