Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
 Multi-byte scripts
without encoding are always dangerous whether BOM is present or not.
I'd say we can always throw an error when we find queries that contain
multi-byte characters if no prior encoding declaration.

You will break a gazillion scripts that today work quite happily if you do.

I think you have really not thought out these proposals well.

Maybe there is a case for a extra command line switch to set the initial client encoding for psql, which would make that a little easier and less obscure to do. Would that make things simpler for you?

cheers

andrew