On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 10:53 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Markus Wanner <mar...@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >>
> >> Settling on a syntax, and an internal representation for that syntax,
> >
> > I've been under the impression that this was only about syntax. What are the
> > internal additions?
>
> I haven't looked at it in detail, but it adds a new pg_partition
> table.  Whether that table is suitably structured for use by the
> optimizer is not clear to me.

If it does, then my review comments to Kedar still apply:

* why do we want another catalog table? what's wrong with pg_inherits?
It might need additional columns, and it certainly needs another index.

* We need an internal data structure (discussed on this thread also).
Leaving stuff in various catalog tables would not be the same thing at
all.