On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> > Would a patch that changes that have any chance of being accepted? Or is
> > the gain (not having to repeat the DEFAULT clause, and being able to
> > maintain it at one place instead of many) considered too small compared
> > to the risk of breaking existing code?
>
> I don't think there's a lot of risk of code breakage; few people use
> domains, fewer use them with defaults, and you might be the only one
> using them as variable types.  And there are going to be more
> substantial backwards compat issues with the lexer changes anyway.  As
> long as we remember to flag the compatibility issue in the release
> notes, I don't see it as a problem.
>
> However, there are some other issues to be resolved:
>
> (1) what should be the interaction of DEFAULT parameters and domains
> with defaults?

The function's DEFAULT parameter should take precedence over the default of
the domain.

> (2) this change, while very useful, does change what had been a simple
> rule ("All variables are NULL unless specifically set otherwise") into a
> conditional one ("All variables are NULL unless set otherwise OR unless
> they are declared as domain types with defaults").  Do people feel that
> the new behavior would be sufficiently intuitive to avoid user confusion?

I see this as a straight-forward extension to what we've had till now; and I
bet some users would've definitely expected them to work this way in the
past..

> (3) Last I checked, there were still several places in which domains did
> not behave consistently in stored procedures.  I think that Elein had
> some unfinished patches in this regard -- you'll want to search the
> archives and the TODO list.

One thing to remember is that, that this behavior should be supported in all
PLs that support domain types as variables.

Best regards,
--
Lets call it Postgres

EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com