Greg Smith <g...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I'm fuzzy on what problem this is attempting to solve...  as mentioned
>> in the above guidelines, it's usually good to start with some design
>> discussions before writing/submitting code.

> This has been through some heavy design discussions with a few PG
> hackers you know and some you don't, they just couldn't release the
> result until now.

Those discussions don't have a lot of credibility if they didn't take
place on the public mailing lists.

pgsql-hackers had some preliminary discussions a couple months back
on refactoring COPY to allow things like this --- see the thread
starting here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-09/msg00486.php
While I don't think we arrived at any final decisions, I would like
to know how this design fits in with what was discussed then.