> It seems like the easiest way to resolve this without weird corner
> cases is to say that we fire triggers belonging to the parent table.
> The individual partition child tables either shouldn't have triggers
> at all, or we should restrict the cases in which those are considered
> applicable.

Agreed. maybe allow only ROW-level AFTER triggers (for logging late
arrivals and updates on tables partitioned on time for example )

> As an example, what are you going to do with statement-level triggers?
> Fire them for *every* child whether it receives a row or not?  Doesn't
> seem like the right thing.
>
> Again, this solution presupposes an explicit concept of partitioned
> tables within the system...

For explicit partitioned tables with hidden partitions it is of course
best to not add extra effort for allowing triggers to be defined on
those (hidden) partitions.

If the partition tables are visible, some trigger support would be good.

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability