Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
OK, fair enough.  My implication that only page formats were at issue
was off-base.  My underlying point was that I think we have to be
prepared to write code that can understand old binary formats (on the
tuple, page, or relation level) if we want this to work and work
reliably.  I believe that there has been much resistance to that idea.

We keep looking for cheaper alternatives.  There may not be any...

Yeah. I think we might need to bite the bullet on that and start thinking more about different strategies for handling page versioning to satisfy various needs. I've been convinced for a while that some sort of versioning scheme is inevitable, but I do understand the reluctance.

cheers

andrew