On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> If you really think that changing the file is a possibility between
> processes reading them, then I would just take a full temp copy of the
> file, read it in postmaster, read it in startup, then delete temp file.

This seems more robust because processes which are started long after
postmaster has started might use recovery.conf in the future (e.g.,
walreceiver in SR, read-only backends).

Also, in Windows, writing only non-default values into a temp file like
GUC is good for a process (like backend) which might be started many times.
Reading the full of the file every startup of such process would somewhat
harm the performance. Though, of course, this is overkill for your purpose.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center