Robert,

* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
> I actually have an idea how to solve the problem in this particular
> case, but I'm reluctant to say what it is because I'm not sure if I'm
> right, and at any rate *I don't want to write this patch*.

As far as crap goes, I'd have to put this at the top.  If you're not
willing to share ideas, then I may have to reconsider my personal
feeling on if you should be a committer or not.  No one is asking you to
write the patch.  We all know that we can be wrong (I tend to be more
wrong than most), and we all hate to "jerk people around", but I feel
it's far worse to self-censor discussion on ideas.

It's also about the worst form of rock-management that I think I could
come up with in an open source community.  If you don't share your idea,
yet you feel that it's "right", and see nothing to dissuade you from
that position (after all, we can't present an argument for or against it
if we don't know what it is), then I find it likely that you're going to
constantly be comparing patches presented to the ideal one in your head
based on your idea and we'd never get there.

If you're not willing to discuss your idea, then I would ask that
you not be involved in either this discussion or review of the patch.

Rock-management, for those not familiar with the term, is essentially
asking "I need a rock", and then, when presented with a rock saying
"sorry, that's not the rock I wanted".  This doesn't provide any insight
into what kind of rock you're looking for.

Rest of the "I don't want to write it" whine omitted.  No one's asking
you to.

        Thanks,

                Stephen