Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
COPY RETURNING ARRAY FROM ...

It's not really returning an array, is it? It's returning a bag of rows
like a (sub)query.

How about just COPY FROM?

The problem with COPY FROM is that it hard-wires a decision that there
is one and only one possible result format, which I think we pretty
much proved already is the wrong thing.  I'm not thrilled with "RETURNING
ARRAY" either, but we need to leave ourselves wiggle room to have more
than one result format from the same source file.

Well, we could have "RETURNING type-expression" with "text[]" supported for the first iteration.

In answer to Heiki's argument, what I wanted was exactly to return an array of text for each row. Whatever we have needs to be able to handle to possibility of ragged input (see previous discussion) so we can't tie it down too tightly.

cheers

andrew