As part of a research project I would like to change the source code of
Postgres. There, I want to do the following: I want to stop the optimizer at
some place, issue a query from the optimizer and use the result of the query
to continue the optimization process.

Is there a good and clean way how I could do this? I want to submit another
query inside the existing connection and optimizer code.  Is there some
function I could use? I don’t want to do a hardcoded scan of a table, I want
to build a query string and use the parser, analyzer, optimizer, and
executer to submit the query.

Thanks a lot!

Robert