On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 02:02:51PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> > did that and it seems the problem is in the loop that does:
>
> > foreach my $row (@$data)
> > {
>
> >      # To construct fmgroids.h and fmgrtab.c, we need to inspect some
> >      # of the individual data fields.  Just splitting on whitespace
>
> Huh.  It's weird that I don't see a leak in either 5.8.7 or 5.10.1,
> which are the two closest perl versions I have handy here.  I think
> this may be a platform-specific Perl bug.  Still, it would be nice
> to work around it if we can.
>
> I'm not nearly good enough in Perl to be sure about the semantics
> of this loop.  Is it possible that it's changing the global contents
> of the @$data structure, rather than just hacking a local copy of
> each row before pushing some values into @fmgr?
Yes, that is what would happen.
I have not read this script at all but that is how perl works...

$row is an aliased to each scalar in the list '(@$data)'

There is no copying.  Copying happens on list assignment,
but not with for/foreach.

If you wanted a copy you need something like:
foreach my $row (@{[ @$data ]}) {

for a shallow copy.

Is that a problem? (I haven't read the script)

Garick