* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Alex Hunsaker <bada...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 07:27, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Then, somebody who wants the feature would build with, say,
> >>        -DLINUX_OOM_ADJ=0
> >> or another value if they want that.
>
> > Here is a stab at that.
>
> Anybody have an objection to this basic approach?  I'm in a bit of a
> hurry to get something like this into the Fedora RPMs, so barring
> objections I'm going to review this, commit it into HEAD, and then
> make a back-ported patch I can use with 8.4 in Fedora.

Whoah, I would caution against doing that without being very confident
it won't break when installed under things like VServer, Linux
Containers, SELinux configurations, etc, when back-porting it.  I don't
expect people would be too pleased to discover their "nice, simple,
no-expected-issues" upgrade of a minor point release to all of a sudden
mean their database doesn't start anymore..

Sorry I havn't got time right now to run down the issue I had with
OpenSSH doing something similar, and it might have just been poor coding
in OpenSSH, but I wanted to voice my concern.

        Thanks,

                Stephen