On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Our documentation suggests that you can take a base backup of a warm
> standby server while it's running:
>
>> If we take a backup of the standby server's data directory while it is
>> processing logs shipped from the primary, we will be able to reload that
>> data and restart the standby's recovery process from the last restart point.
>> We no longer need to keep WAL files from before the restart point. If we
>> need to recover, it will be faster to recover from the incrementally updated
>> backup than from the original base backup.
>
> That doesn't seem safe. If the server makes a new restartpoint while the
> backup is running, and pg_control is backed up after the new
> restartpoint is made, recovery will restart from the new restartpoint.
> That is wrong; recovery needs to restart at the restartpoint that was
> most recent when the backup started. This is basically the same issue we
> have solved in master with the backup_label file.

Right.

> I wonder if it would be enough to document that pg_control must be
> backed up first?

Probably No. The archive recovery from such base backup would always
fail at the end of recovery because there is no backup-end record,
i.e., pg_stop_backup() is not executed in that case.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center