Tim Bunce just showed me the following oddity:

   andrew=# SET SESSION plperl.use_strict = on;
   SET
   andrew=# SHOW plperl.use_strict;
    plperl.use_strict
   -------------------
    on
   (1 row)

   andrew=# DO $$ elog(ERROR,"error") $$ language plperl;
   ERROR:  error at line 1.
   CONTEXT:  PL/Perl anonymous code block
   andrew=# SHOW plperl.use_strict;
    plperl.use_strict
    off
   (1 row)

Somehow we have lost the setting, because the first use of plperl, which called the plperl init code, failed.

It appears that whatever rolls it back forgets to put the GUC setting back as it was, and now it's lost, which is pretty darn ugly. And you can now run code which fails the 'strict' tests.

If anyone has a quick idea about how to fix that would be nice. Otherwise I'll try to delve into it as time permits.

cheers

andrew