Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
Is there a book?

You'll find a basic intro to this area in "PostgreSQL Developer's Handbook" by Geschwinde and Schonig. You're already past the level of questions they answer in there though. This whole cstring/text issue you're asking about, I figured out by reading the source code, deciphering the examples in the talk at http://www.joeconway.com/presentations/tut_oscon_2004.pdf , and then using interesting keywords there ("DatumGetCString" is a good one to find interesting places in the code) to find code examples and messages on that topic in the list archives. Finally, finding some commits/patches that do things similar to what you want, and dissecting how they work, is quite informative too.

I agree the learning curve could be a shortened a lot, and have actually submitted a conference talk proposal in this area to try and improve that. You're a few months ahead of me having something written down to share though.

g...@2ndquadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com