Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
I've been discussing this with Josh, Heikki, and Peter E. over the past few weeks.
Is this searchable in the archives? I'm interested in ideas discussed.
If a prepared statement takes parameters, and the generic plan has a high projected cost, re-plan each EXECUTE individually with all its parameter values bound. It may or may not help, but unless the planner is vastly over-pessimistic, re-planning isn't going to dominate execution time for these cases anyway.
This sounds like a really nice to have feature. Maybe it'd also be possible to skip replanning between executes if the current bound values are 'indexwise-equivalent' to the values used at previous planning, i.e. nothing in the statistics indicates that execution cost would be (much) different. Are there more ways to cut down on planning time? Obviously some plannedstatement/plannerinfo structures could be kept, but maybe it'd also be possible to plan only that part of the join tree where the params are used in a scan/join qual.

regards,
Yeb Havinga