On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 03:15:30PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> So the currently submitted patch is logically inconsistent.  If we
> enforce a character set restriction on the payload for fear of
> being unable to convert it to the destination client_encoding, then
> we should logically do the same for the condition name.  But then
> why not also restrict a lot of other things to pure ASCII?

AFAICS this essentially goes for "payload is a text string" and for
people who want "payload as binary" will have to do hex encoding or
some such. At least, I thought one of the reasons why it got limited
was because we couldn't decide.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <klep...@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/