Le vendredi 05 mars 2010 à 15:40 -0500, Robert Haas a écrit :
> having
> said that, asking us to make changes that are not based on solid
> technical arguments, don't conform to the SQL standard, and most
> important that we already clearly said we were not going to make is
> not the way to get there.

Okay, thank you all for these explanations.

I was talking about flexibility in the SQL syntax, which is linked to
the need to be flexible in front of developers communities which are not
interested in SQL and therefore use broken tools like MySQL. Drupal 6 is
just an example. D7 may be better, okay. A lot of applications are built
with a bad SQL syntax. You cannot change the world.

I was talking about flexibility to allow people to migrate and test
other databases than MySQL and you stick to the idea of a "pure" SQL
syntax, like ayatollahs preaching in the desert.

If an SQL syntax is not pure, why not rewrite it and issue a warning.
This would allow to run MySQL code nearly unchanged. All you say is NO,
NOT PURE code.

I will not ever post again on PostgreSQL mailing list about these
issues. Everyone expressed their ideas. I admit my ideas are not
supported by anyone.

This is bad enough because I debugged hundreds of Drupal modules and
wrote a short technical guide on D website. Too bad you are not
listening for more flexibility.

Bye.
Jean-Michel