Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> writes:
> In particular, libpq only exports a fixed subset of symbols on any
> platform that supports that (which includes Windows).

> AFAIK, there is no way to make that restriction on static libraries,
> at least not on Windows.

Right, and not anyplace else either except by pre-linking the contained
.o files, which eliminates one of the claimed advantages of a .a library.

So one of the reasons not to support a static version of libpq is
precisely this one: it means that every non-static symbol inside libpq
is subject to conflicts against calling applications and other libraries
that they choose to link with.  I don't particularly care to deal with
that, and I especially don't choose to accept the position that any such
conflicts are *our* problem to fix.