Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [ good stuff snipped ]

> ... Also, it prevents accidentally changing the locale when you
> (or someone else) fiddle with your environment variables.

If I follow this correctly, the behavior would be that PG would not pay
attention to *any* LC_xxx environment variables?  Although I agree with
that principle in the abstract, it bothers me that PG will be out of
step with every single other locale-using program in the Unix world.
We ought to think twice about whether that's really a good idea.

> Note that you get the same kind of command line options as in initdb:
> --lc-numeric, --locale, etc.  You can also run SHOW lc_numeric to see
> what's going on.

Probably you thought of this already: please also support SHOW for the
initdb-time variables (lc_collate, etc), so that one can find out the
active locale settings without having to resort to
contrib/pg_controldata.

http://archives.postgresql.org