feng tian wrote:
Hi,

I want to load balance a postgres server on 4 physical machines, say 127.0.0.11-14. I can set up a pgbouncer on 127.0.0.10 and connection pooling to my four boxes. However, the traffic from/to clients will go through an extra hop. Another way to do this, is to send the client an "redirect" message. When client connect to 127.0.0.10, instead of accepting the connection, it can reply to client telling it to reconnect to one of the server on 127.0.0.11-14. I am planning to write/submit a patch to do that. I wonder if there is similar effort in extending libpq protocol, or, if you have better ideas on how to achieve this.

how do you plan on maintaining consistency, transactional integrity and atomicity of updates across these 4 machines?