On Apr 23, 2010, at 13:12 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Let's have these three settings:
>
> wal_mode = crash/archive/standby (replaces archive_mode)
> archive_command
> max_wal_senders
>
> If wal_mode is set to 'crash', you can't set archive_command or
> max_wal_senders>0. If it's set to 'archive', you can set archive_command
> and/or max_wal_senders for archiving and streaming replication, but the
> standby server won't allow queries. If you set it to 'standby', it will
> (assuming you've set recovery_connections=on in the standby).
>
> Note that "wal_mode=standby" replaces "recovery_connections=on" in the
> primary.
>
> I think this would be much easier to understand than the current
> situation. I'm not wedded to the GUC name or values, though, maybe it
> should be archive_mode=off/on/standby, or wal_mode=minimal/archive/full.

Hm, but but that would preclude the possibility of running master and
(log-shipping) slave off the same configuration, since one would need
wal_mode=standby and the other recovery_connections=on.

Whereas with the current GUCs, i"archive_mode=on, recovery_connections=on,
archive_command=..." should be a valid configuration for both master and slave,
no?

best regards,
Florian Pflug