Robert Haas wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
I don't believe you are fairly stating the consensus from previous
discussion and I believe that you are actually in the minority on this
one.  I agree that we probably don't need to support this for object
types for which CREATE OR REPLACE is available or can be made
available, but that isn't feasible for all object types - tables and
columns being the obvious examples.
What's obvious about it?  In particular, I should think that ADD OR
REPLACE COLUMN would usefully be defined as "ADD if no such column,
else ALTER COLUMN as necessary to match this spec".  Dropping the
ALTER part of that has no benefit except to lazy implementors; it
certainly is not more useful to users if they can't be sure of the
column properties after issuing the command.

Actually, that's a good idea.  But how will you handle tables?

I think I Iike Heikki's suggestion better, to error out if the object exists but the properties differ. At least I'd like an option for that.

cheers

andrew