Yeb Havinga wrote:
Rob Wultsch wrote:
I can not imagine setting this value to anything other than a bool and
most of the time that bool would be -1.
That's funny because when I was reading this thread, I was thinking the exact opposite: having max_standby_delay always set to 0 so I know the standby server is as up-to-date as possible.

If you ask one person about this, you'll discover they only consider one behavior here sane, and any other setting is crazy. Ask five people, and you'll likely find someone who believes the complete opposite. Ask ten and carefully work out the trade-offs they're willing to make given the fundamental limitations of replication, and you'll arrive at the range of behaviors available right now, plus some more that haven't been built yet. There are a lot of different types of database applications out there, each with their own reliability and speed requirements to balance.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us